The most important task of the Deutsche Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Evangelische Gehörlosenseelsorge e.V. (DAFEG) since its foundation in 1928 is to advocate for the concerns of deaf people in their congregations within the Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD) and the regional churches.
The work focuses primarily on the following issues:
- Education and training of deaf chaplains
- Training of deaf employees in the deaf community
- Searching for ways to improve the communication between hearing and deaf people
- Development of religious signing, signing songs, prayers, biblical and church-historical texts in written and sign language
- Social-ethical issues (e.g. forced sterilization in the 3rd Reich, gene technology, cochlear implant), which now or in the future (may) also affect the pastoral care of the deaf.
With its branch “Deutsche Gehörlosenmission” DAFEG supports two schools for the deaf in Eritrea together with the Finnish Mission for the Deaf.
In addition, DAFEG is the publisher of the monthly community newspaper “Unsere Gemeinde – Zeitung der evangelische Gehörlosen”.
Deutsche Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Evangelische Gehörlosenseelsorge